Improve your workplace writing in a wonderfully supportive environment
Business writing in a non-native language can be challenging, this course will provide you with the skills necessary to improve your English writing skills in the workplace
Develop your workplace writing, grammar, sentence construction and spelling. Practice all forms of English writing from emails to memos and reports.
Business English – Writing for Work covers the following topics:
- Structure, Clarity and Logic:
- Guidelines for clear letters and emails
- Common mistakes and how to correct them
- Getting to the point efficiently
- Confused words and their true meanings
- Comparison between formal and informal expressions in business
- Reports: things to consider before you begin; how to structure a good report
- Guidelines for procedures, proposals, tenders, ministerials
- Major spelling rules
- The use of articles (the, a, an)
- Cases: who-whom
- Misplaced clauses and introductory phrases causing confusion
- Verbs: tenses; when to use shall or will
- Voices: active and passive, subjunctive; when to use them, their purpose
- Sentence length, sentence structure and paragraphing
- Punctuation: how misuse creates misunderstandings
- Parallelism: the correct way to write in point form
- Understanding what prefixes and suffixes mean
Comprehensive reference notes and worksheets will be handed out.
Written exercises will support principles discussed.
No homework is expected, but students are welcome to bring in examples of their own written work for feedback from the tutor.
*** Because of the volume of handouts, it is recommended that you bring a ring-binder with cardboard dividers (5). You will be shown how to structure your folder for quick and easy reference for ongoing benefit.
Who is this course best suited to?
This course is for students for whom English is not their native language and are currently working, or preparing to work, in a professional English-speaking environment.
Students must have a reasonably fluent level of English in order to attend this course. It does not have to be perfect, but must be fluent. This course will not teach you how to learn the language but how to drastically improve and build upon what you currently know. If you are unsure whether your level is suitable please contact customer service on 9652 0611 and we’d be happy to talk with you.
Award-Winning Jacquie Wise has been in private practice since 1979, as a management consultant and trainer, psychotherapist and coach.
Jacquie’s work across a wide range of industries has given her a keen understanding of key issues in both public and private sectors. As a consultant, she has written many problem-solving reports to her clients, and has been engaged to edit major government tenders.
She is also the author of a number of personal development books, two of them best-sellers.
Jacquie is a Fellow of the Institute of Linguists and a Diplomate of the London Chamber of Commerce in Business Communications.
Please also see Business English – Speaking for Professionals which focuses on speaking in the workplace
Wednesday, 8th April - 4 classes
$490 / $466 (conc)