1 September 2021 COVID-19 Update

Due to the ongoing level of community transmission and the continued number of unlinked cases across the state, Victoria’s lockdown is extended. Almost all of the current lockdown restrictions will remain in place until 70 per cent of Victorians have had at least one dose of vaccine. This is estimated to be around 23 September.

This means there are no substantial changes to the way CAE is currently operating for both staff and students. We will continue working and studying remotely, with only authorised workers / students with permits allowed to attend on campus / site.

Restrictions in place include:

  • Curfew: A curfew in place from 9pm to 5am, during which time a person is not permitted to leave their home except for limited reasons
  • Permits: Authorised workers are required to carry permits when working and travelling for work. The permits must be certified by an employer. Permits also need to be carried by students who are permitted to attend campus
  • Work: If you can work from home, you must work from home
  • Higher education and training: Closed, remote learning only unless permitted study

More information on restrictions can be found on the Department of Health and Human Services website.



Permits are required for any student who is attending a Box Hill Institute campus or work placement (or contracted site) to work, study or undertake a mandatory work placement.

Permits will be approved for students undertaking activities in line with the Authorised Provider and Authorised Worker list. All other employees and students are to remain working / learning remotely.

If any student is found to have completed a permit with false or misleading information or using it for unauthorised travel, the permit will be void and heavy fines will apply.


Process for Obtaining a Student Permit

Your teacher or Course Coordinator will complete your details on a Student Permit Template with the days, dates and times you will be required on campus or attending a work placement.

A Manager will sign the template and you will be sent a PDF version, which you will be asked to sign. This must be carried with you, along with your Student Card, when you travel to and from, and while you are on, campus. You are only eligible to travel with the permit on the times and dates identified.

Please do not attend campus if you have not been invited to return.

If you are attending campus for an approved class, please remember to:

  • scan QR codes for every building every day
  • abide by COVIDSafe protocols including hand hygiene, maintaining 1.5m distance
  • wear masks
  • abide by capacity limits

If you are unwell, even with mild symptoms, do not attend campus or any workplace. Please speak to your teacher or Course Coordinator to make alternative arrangements.

If you have urgent questions, please contact your Course Coordinator or email returntocampus@boxhill.edu.au.


The cafés at Elgar, Nelson and Lilydale are closed.


The libraries are closed however, library staff can be reached by leaving a message on (03) 9286 9283 or by emailing library@boxhill.edu.au. Library staff are working remotely but can still assist you with advice and training on library resources, including the online resources available to you while access to hardcopy resources is not possible.


Increased health and safety measures have been introduced to ensure the safety of all people on site. This includes:

  • Health screening of staff and students as they come onto campus
  • Temperature checking and social distancing awareness
  • Increased cleaning schedules and the wiping of shared surfaces
  • All staff and students must report to CAE Building B at 253 Flinders Lane for screening

To assist with contact tracing, each building has its own a QR code, which you must scan before entering the building. These are all available in Building B (253 Flinders Lane) at the screening station in the foyer.

  1. Scan the QR code with the camera or QR code scanner app of your Smartphone.
  2. Go to the link contained in the QR code.
  3. Fill in your details and press [Submit].

Your information will not be released to the public or shared with any third party except the government agency responsible to contact people who may have been exposed to COVID-19 or where otherwise required for the purposes of contact tracing.

Your details will be kept for the period specified by the Department of Health and Human Services.

All students returning to campus during this time will be required to complete an online Eligibility to Return to Campus Declaration confirming that they will abide by the increased COVID-19 measures. This includes adhering to social distancing requirements, only using prescribed entry/exit points on campus, following cleaning instructions, and submitting to daily screening procedures.

It is not compulsory that you sign this declaration agreeing to these conditions, however to return to campus during the pandemic you must do so.

Breaching this agreement will result in immediate removal from campus and potentially being prevented from returning to campus for the duration of the pandemic.


To ensure that we are abiding by the social distancing requirements, the following measures have been implemented:

  • Limiting class sizes to ensure that social distancing requirements can be met where possible
  • Adjusting rooms where required
  • Zoning off common areas
  • Increased signage to support safe practices
  • Limiting the number of people on campus at any given time
  • Ensuring that everyone only remains on campus for the duration of their class


Apprentices and trainees who have been suspended or lost their job completely can register with the Victorian Government’s Program for retrenched apprentices and trainees.

You can apply for the new Jobseeker payments if both apply:

  • you’re not receiving Youth Allowance (Apprentice) payments
  • you’ve lost your job and are not receiving an income due to coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you’re seeking Jobseeker payments, you do not need to provide an employment separation certificate. This means that if you have had your apprenticeship suspended – but not terminated – you’re still eligible for Jobseeker payments.

If you’re looking for alternative employment, you can: