Essential: Please bring black and white prints that you have made previously and linocut printing blocks ready to reprint.
Also bring a range of watercolour paints and colour pencils.
Colour pencils – Prismacolor or Faber-Castell Polychromos are particularly good, but bring any that you have on hand.
Do NOT buy cheap watercolour sets – the results will be disappointing! Artist quality are always the best. Good quality brands include Windsor & Newton, Schminke, Daniel Smith, Art Spectrum…
However, if concerned about cost, 8ml tubes – Art Prism Watercolours made by the Australian company, Art Spectrum, at only $5.85 per tube are good value. Can purchase online – see link below.
Primary colours required: Cadmium Yellow hue, Cadmium red hue, Cobalt Blue hue, Rose Madder hue
Optional: other suggested colours include Phthalo Blue, Hookers Green Permanent, Raw Sienna Hue (Light) OR Sepia. Please bring any colours you already have.
Brushes – soft
- Two-three round Watercolour synthetic Sizes #3, #6, #12 e.g. Roymac Achiever, Nam white Taklon, or Golden Taklon,
- Plus any other soft brushes you have. White plastic palette with large, round, deep areas for paint, slanted areas and preferably with a lidLead pencil 2B and a kneaded eraserNotebook and pen Any other paint colours etcTotal cost approx. $110 – 150 depending on the quality you invest in and what you already own. Shop around. Online stores are often cheaper eg. https://www.artstoreonline.com.au/watercolours/art-spectrum/art-spectrum-art-prism-watercolours/cat_1271.html Their Art Prism Watercolours are approx. $5.80 a tube compared to $8 a tube of similar quality elsewhere.
- Senior Art Supplies: 21 Degraves St., Melbourne, ph. 9639 6662 – 10% discount with class receipt. Make sure to get there no later than 5:30pm
- Also compare prices here www.cavalierart.com.au www.theartshop.com.au www.eckersleys.com.au
- Folder and/or heavy cardboard to transport prints
- Pencil sharpener or blade
- Two large plastic water containers
- Soft rags