Get accept confused with except? Not sure when to use advice instead of advise? Bronwen Hickman will save you from these common mistakes and many, many more!
Spelling Course Content
During the course you will cover the following topics:
- A brief history of English – from its Anglo-Saxon beginnings to its modern borrowings.
- Doubled letters – for beginnings, for endings.
- Understanding the i and y rule.
- Knowing about the origins of words, from Latin and Greek particularly, and French – why we say the ‘h’ in house, but not in hour.
- Divide and conquer: breaking words into syllables to see how to say them.
- Saying words carefully, spelling them well.
- Getting logic on your side: ‘ac-‘ means ‘to’ or ‘towards’; ‘ex-‘ means out of, away from; hence ‘accept’ and ‘except’: and many others.
- Memory joggers: ways to deal with difficult words, people’s names, etc.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who needs to improve their spelling skills for work, study or writing – and even those wanting to escape their reliance on the old spellchecker!
What should I bring?
Please bring along a pen and paper to each session.
Also see Bronwen Hickman’s popular Grammar, perfect for those who haven’t been in a classroom for many years and are a tad rusty!