This 18-hour course focuses on speaking and listening so that students will be able to communicate effectively on everyday topics, such as:
- Meeting people;
- Talking a bit about yourself, i.e. where you are from and what you do for a living;
- Identifying others, asking about nationalities and occupations;
- Understanding numbers, how to use them for phone numbers, prices and measuring units;
- Talking about family members and relationships;
- Basic and common polite terms when you greet others and ask for permission.
Students will learn the fundamentals of grammar so they can construct their own sentences and questions, and they will take the first steps in reading and writing. The course covers basic grammatical concepts, but is primarily aimed at introducing the sounds of spoken Mandarin. Students will learn the Chinese alphabet, the four tones of Pinyin, basic structures of writing Chinese characters, and will practise conversational skills in a variety of everyday situations. The course focuses on oral and aural skills, and developing a good understanding of grammar, through homework and in-class exercises.