You have spent much time researching your family history and obtained all this fascinating information. But how do you record it safely in an attractive style that you can enjoy and share with others? In this session you will learn the skills to prepare and compile information, documents and photos into a bound photobook which includes a table of contents, pedigree and descendant chart.
This course enables participants to learn the skills required to create a digital family history book containing a table of contents, trees, maps, documents, pictures etc. including:
- an overview of the family history book creation process
- how to organize and store all your info
- how to use software to edit your documents and pictures so that they are suitable for a book
- practicing placing their documents, pictures and narrative created during the course into a digital photobook
Please bring a notebook, pen and USB stick to the session.
You may also bring the following items to the session: 2 or 3 documents (e.g. birth, marriage, death certificates) and photographs on USB stick.
However tutor will have items on hand at the class for demonstration/hands on activity on the day should you prefer not to bring in own items.
Students will need to have: a basic level of computer literacy – maximise and minimise windows, create a folder, drag and drop, ability to use menus and tool bars.
Students completing the course will be able to:
- organise their content to make it easily accessible
- change their documents and photos into a form suitable for a book. This includes how to ‘clean’ documents
- arrange their materials and text into an attractive book
- see many examples of books that have been created by the presenter
Helen is a professional genealogist who has had many clients including some from: Denmark, Chile, India and of course UK, Canada and the US. She has also created 14 bound books for clients wishing to record their family history for posterity.
All of Helen’s courses include opportunities for participants to apply what they have learnt using their own family history information and have individual guidance.
- Masters in Social Research (Monash)
- Graduate Diploma in Applied Science (Social Statistics)
- Bachelor Arts (maj. Pure Maths)
- Graduate Diploma Education
- Certificate IV Training and Assessment
Since retiring from the classroom she has worked as a private Maths tutor.