With around 60% of websites in the world using WordPress, this course helps you decide whether you want to host a free website at WordPress.com or create your own website that is under your control using WordPress.org on your own hosting account. You will understand the essentials so that you can either create your own website from scratch or employ a website designer and have a solid understanding of what you’re paying for.
WordPress course content
- Deciding on the purpose and content of your website (including competitor analysis)
- Understanding the options for WordPress.com and WordPress.org
- Registering a Domain Name and options for Website Hosting
- Creating your Site Map and compiling your content offline
- Compiling a Records List and Statistics Spreadsheet
- How to select the right Theme (template)
- Choosing essential Plugins (for search engine optimisation (SEO), backups, newsletter subscriptions)
- Storing and Resizing Images (PC and Mac)
- Creating Pages and Posts with Titles, Headings, Meta Description, Image, Intralinks, Backlinks, Calls to Action etc.
- Understanding Privacy, Copyright and basic Do’s and Don’ts
By the end of the course students will have:
- Gained an overall understanding of domain name and website hosting, and how a self-hosted website works
- Have the information necessary to register your own domain name and start creating your own website
- Have your general WordPress website and web hosting questions answered
- Participated in discussions on website ideas and options
Who is this course for?
This course is perfect if you want to:
- Create and host your own WordPress website
- Engage a web designer but first understand the basics of website design (not unlike speaking to a mechanic about your car needing repair and having no mechanical knowledge!) This class will help you understand the jargon and core aspects of website design, hosting and creation
- Learn how to update content and individual pages on an existing WordPress website (*** Please note that this does not include changing the design, content, functionality or hosting of an existing website in class – see below for further information)
*** Important – due to the time and complexity involved in modifying/fixing/updating existing WordPress websites this course does not allow for students to have the teacher fix their existing website issues during the course. Live, generic examples will be used in class, along with sufficient information provided so that you can attend to these issues at a later time. Please contact us on 9652 0611 if you have questions or require further clarification.
Do I need prior WordPress or website knowledge in order to attend?
There are no prerequisites to attending although some practical work is carried out on computers and therefore a basic knowledge of operating a Windows or Apple based computer is recommended.
Sue Ellson BBus AIMM MAHRI CDAA (Assoc) ASA MPC launched her first website in May 2001. Since then, she has used a variety of website platforms for her own and her clients’ websites, for a wide range of professions and industries. Sue loves to share her informative real life examples in class so that once you have completed the course, you can avoid the most common mistakes and either take on the project yourself or work out how to communicate your desires to a website designer.
As an experienced trainer, professional learner and consultant in practice, Sue provides simple, non-jargon, up-to-date explanations during the course. Sue also welcomes any questions you may have (even the ‘stupid’ ones) and she will give you practical and realistic answers. You will come away from this course with a much better understanding of what to do next and what will work for you. Sue’s interactive approach will also enable you to learn from your fellow students – an extra benefit of attending a course in person!
If you would like to learn more about Sue, you can visit her website at http://sueellson.com, connect with her on LinkedIn at http://au.linkedin.com/in/sueellson or see her books at http://120ways.com