This 18-hour course focuses on speaking and listening so that students will be able to communicate effectively on everyday topics, such as:
- A basic understanding of Swedish grammar and sentence structure
- A basic vocabulary allowing them to read simple texts
- The ability to introduce themselves in Swedish and use simple languages for a variety of everyday situations
- An understanding of the relationship of Swedish to other Scandinavian languages and to English and German
- A basic understanding of Swedish culture
Students will learn the fundamentals of grammar so they can construct their own sentences and questions, and they will take the first steps in reading and writing. The course covers basic grammatical concepts, but is primarily aimed at introducing the sounds of spoken Swedish. Students will learn the Swedish alphabet, the intonation rhythms of Swedish, and will practise conversational skills in a variety of everyday situations.
The main focus is on simple everyday conversation, and tries to get students speaking as much Swedish as possible right from the beginning. The course focuses on oral and aural skills, and developing a good understanding of grammar, through homework and in-class exercises.