Business writing in a non-native language can be challenging, this course will provide you with the skills necessary to improve. Develop your workplace writing, grammar, sentence construction and spelling. Practice all forms of writing from emails to memos and reports.
Structure, Clarity and Logic:
- Guidelines for clear letters and emails
- Common mistakes and how to correct them
- Getting to the point efficiently
- Confused words and their true meanings
- Comparison between formal and informal expressions in business
- Reports: things to consider before you begin; how to structure a good report
- Guidelines for procedures, proposals, tenders, ministerials
- Major spelling rules
- The use of articles (the, a, an)
- Cases: who-whom
- Misplaced clauses and introductory phrases causing confusion
- Verbs: tenses; when to use shall or will
- Voices: active and passive, subjunctive; when to use them, their purpose
- Sentence length, sentence structure and paragraphing
- Punctuation: how misuse creates misunderstandings
- Parallelism: the correct way to write in point form
- Understanding what prefixes and suffixes mean
Comprehensive reference notes and worksheets will be handed out.
Written exercises will support principles discussed.
No homework is expected, but students are welcome to bring in examples of their own written work for feedback from the tutor.
*** Because of the volume of handouts, it is recommended that you bring a ring-binder with cardboard dividers (5). You will be shown how to structure your folder for quick and easy reference for ongoing benefit.
What level of language is suitable for this course?
This course is for students for whom English is an Additional Language and who are currently working, or preparing to work, in a professional, English-speaking environment.
Students must have intermediate to advanced level English. What this means is you must already be able to speak English fluently. It does not have to be perfect, but you must be fluent. This course will not teach you how to speak the language but will assist you in improving it.
Tuesday, 16th January - 8 classes
$490 / $466 (conc)